The chakra energy system is one of the most ancient theories and methodologies of bringing ourselves into energetic balance.
And it’s needed now more than ever. The truth is, modern life and its stressors means that many of us are out of balance in at least one of our energy centres.
One of the most common chakras affected by imbalances is the heart chakra, but thankfully chakra healing practices and tools like heart chakra essential oils can be a saving grace when it comes to restoring balance in our lives.
You might have already identified that you have an imbalanced heart chakra (as many of us do) if you struggle with feeling or expressing love and affection, towards yourself or others.
(There are also several other signs to look out for that we’ll discuss shortly in this post)
If you’re looking for ways to open up and heal your heart space, heart chakra essential oils are one of the most simple tools you can incorporate into your routine.
In this post I’ll be sharing with you the best heart chakra essential oils, their healing properties, and how you can use them to bring your heart chakra back into balance.
So if you’re ready to unlock the potential of your heart centre and open yourself up to love in all forms, keep reading.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
What is the heart chakra?
According to ancient yogic traditions, chakras are energy centres in the human body where life force energy (prana) flows.
Each chakra can be characterised by different energy, and is located at a different point in the human body.
When our chakras are in balance, our energy flows freely and these different energies are in perfect harmony.
But, when a chakra becomes blocked or out of balance, they can produce different symptoms and signs of disharmony in our energy system.
The heart chakra, which is known as Anahata in Sanskrit, is the fourth chakra in the chakra system.
It is associated with the energy of love, compassion, empathy and connection.
On a more physical level it is thought to be connected to our heart, the circulatory system and respiratory system.
Heart chakra location and colour
The heart chakra is located around the heart-space, in the centre of the chest.
It is often thought of as the center of the chakra system, helping to keep balance between the more grounded lower chakras (the root chakra, sacral chakra and solar plexus chakra) and the higher more spiritual chakras (the throat chakra, third eye chakra and crown chakra).
It is often represented by the colours green or pink, and depicted as a 12 petaled lotus flower.
Characteristics of a balanced heart chakra
When the heart chakra is open and in balance, you can expect the energy of love, compassion, empathy and connection to flow freely and be in harmony in your life.
This chakra plays an important role in your sense of self-love. And when you have an open heart chakra you will have no difficulty accessing love and compassion, both for yourself and others.
Giving and receiving unconditional love and care without judgement will come naturally to you. And you will be able to readily practise acceptance and forgiveness with others.
This allows you to foster deep and meaningful relationships and have a sense of inner peace and emotional stability when it comes to matters of the heart.
Characteristics of an imbalanced heart chakra
However, when the heart chakra is blocked or imbalanced, there will be an imbalance in the flow of energy through this area.
This might result in feelings of resentment, bitterness or loneliness. You might struggle to let things go or practise compassion towards yourself and others.
Giving and receiving love won’t come naturally (ie. you might encounter several love blocks and have a fear of intimacy) and you might also be closed off to affection.
A blocked heart chakra can also lead to physical symptoms like heart related problems (palpitations, tachycardia, brachycardia), respiratory issues, poor circulation or problems with the immune system.
However, please note that any issues like these should be first addressed on a physical level with a doctor before assuming the problem is entirely energetic.
Nonetheless, heart chakra focused healing exercises, such as meditation, yoga, breathwork, sound healing, crystals, and of course essential oils, can be used as powerful healing tools alongside other treatments or as standalone practices under the advice of a practitioner.
How essential oils can help balance chakras
If you identify with some of the signs and symptoms of heart chakra imbalances, you’re probably looking for ways to bring it back into balance.
And this is where essential oils come in.
The use of essential oils is a practice that goes back years and years. There is also now growing scientific research supporting the benefits of essential oils, particularly for mood and stress.
But essential oils are also a powerful tool when it comes to chakra balancing, which works by using aromatherapy with the powerful properties and aromatic compounds that each essential oil contains.
These unique properties can foster healing in the chakra by aligning with and activating the energy of a certain chakra, helping us to connect to and release certain emotions and emotional blockages, and affecting the subtle energy body.
For the best healing results certain essential oils work best for particular chakras, and pure essential oils (preferably organic!) will have the most powerful effects.
How to use essential oils for heart chakra healing
Before we get into some of the best heart chakra essential oils, let’s look at how to actually use essential oils for heart chakra balancing.
Here are several different ways that you can use essential oils in your own heart chakra healing practice:
- Aromatherapy diffusion: use a high quality essential diffuser to release the vapours of heart chakra essential oils into your space. Focus on deeply inhaling the scent while connecting to feelings of love and compassion.
- Topical application: dilute heart chakra essential oils with carrier oils such as jojoba, coconut or almond oil. Place the blend onto your pulse points (neck, chest, inner elbow, wrist, bend of the knee, and ankles) to foster heart chakra healing throughout your day.
- Aromatherapy bath: add a few drops of heart chakra essential oils to a warm bath to inhale and bathe in the aromas while you relax. For an extra touch of self love, you can also add some rose petals!
- Meditation and visualisation: inhale the scent of a heart chakra essential oil (or your favourite blend) deeply 1-3 times. Then take some time to meditate on this feeling or visualise your heart chakra opening (try visualising healing green or pink light around your heart space!)
- Chakra massage: dilute your heart chakra essential oils in your favourite body or carrier oil, and take some time to give yourself a self love massage using the oil. You might want to pay some extra attention to the heart space while you massage to open up this area.
- Spritz onto pillow or room: to receive the healing properties of heart chakra oils while you sleep, try creating your own room spray in a spray bottle, and spray it around your space or on your pillow. (Just make sure you take care to ensure any oils you use are compatible with your fabrics!)
For even better results with each of these techniques, you might even experiment with creating a specific essential oil blend (like a heart chakra blend) in order to experience the benefits of several different essential oils at once.
Later in this post I’ll be sharing with you a heart chakra essential oil blend to try this for yourself!
Please remember to always dilute your essential oils when using them topically, and take care to avoid getting any in your eyes.
It’s also best to start with a weaker formulation and test how your system reacts. You should also always perform a patch test if you plan to use them topically, particularly if you have sensitive skin.
Everybody reacts differently to essential oils and some people can tolerate them better than others, so if you have any kind of negative reaction you should discontinue use immediately.
The best essential oils for heart chakra healing
Now that you know some of the most powerful ways to use essential oils for heart chakra balancing, let’s look at some of the best essential oils to use.
These heart chakra essential oils each have their own unique properties and aromatic compounds that make them perfectly aligned for work with the heart chakra.
You can use them each on their own, or combine them in a blend for heightened results.
1. Rose oil
Rose oil is one of my favourite essential oils for heart chakra healing and emotional wellness.
It has a sweet floral fragrance that promotes love and compassion, and also contains anti-inflammatory properties which make it perfect for relieving stress.
Key properties of rose essential oil:
- Heart opening and emotional balance
- Unconditional love and compassion
- Eases grief and emotional wounds
- Reduces stress
- Encourages self compassion
- Promotes harmony
2. Jasmine essential oil
Jasmine oil has a sweet intense fragrance that’s associated with love and sensuality, making it perfect for heart chakra work.
Key properties of jasmine oil:
- Nurturing and soothing
- Encourages self love and confidence
- Enhances sensuality and libido
- Eases tension in relationships
- Helps with forgiveness and acceptance
3. Ylang Ylang oil
Ylang Ylang is a deep and floral oil that has been widely used for heart chakra balancing, particularly when it comes to emotional balance and wellbeing.
Key properties of ylang ylang essential oil:
- Promotes emotional release and wellbeing
- Encourages self love and acceptance
- Reduces tension and anxiety
- Enhances intimacy
- Promotes inner child healing
- Supports trauma healing
4. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil is well known for its calming and relaxing effects, but it can also be used for heart chakra healing.
Key properties of lavender essential oil:
- Emotional calmness
- Eases emotional wounds and negative emotions
- Facilitates healing
- Promotes inner peace and balance
- Encourages forgiveness and understanding
- Promotes loving open-minded communication
Related post: The Top 8 Best Lavender Essential Oils of 2023
5. Bergamot essential oil
Bergamot oil has an uplifting citrusy and floral scent. It is often used to help bring the heart chakra into balance.
Key properties of bergamot oil:
- Promotes self love and self acceptance
- Enhances emotional expression
- Facilitates emotional release
- Encourages optimism and hope
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Promotes deeper connection
6. Neroli essential oil
Neroli oil is another citrusy essential oil that is great for heart chakra balancing.
Key properties of neroli oil:
- Promotes emotional calmness
- Helps emotional release
- Eases grief and emotional wounds
- Enhances spiritual connection
- Uplifts mood and joy
- Promotes forgiveness and compassion
7. Geranium essential oil
Geranium oil is a beautiful floral essential oil that is often used to promote emotional stability when it comes to heart chakra healing.
Key properties of geranium oil:
- Emotional balance
- Nurturing and comforting
- Encourages unconditional love
- Helps emotional release
- Promotes forgiveness and healing
- Promotes joy and happiness
8. Frankincense essential oil
Finally, Frankincense oil, which has long been associated with the winter time and christmas, is actually a powerful oil to use when it comes to the heart chakra.
With a deeper more woody scent, this oil has more grounding properties that set it apart from the other essential oils on this list.
Key properties of frankincense oil:
- Emotional grounding
- Encourages self reflection
- Helps forgiveness and release
- Promotes empathy
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Heightens spiritual connection and awareness
Heart chakra essential oil blend recipe
Hopefully this list of heart chakra essential oils gives you a good place to start when it comes to your heart chakra healing journey.
But if you’re looking for ways to enhance your practice even more, look no further than this heart chakra essential oil blend recipe.
This heart chakra blend combines the properties of each of these essential oils so you can really maximise on their healing benefits.
- 4 drops Rose Oil (for love and compassion)
- 3 drops Ylang Ylang Oil (for emotional release and balance)
- 3 drops Geranium Oil (for emotional stability and nurturing)
- 2 drops Bergamot Oil (for uplifting and joy)
- 2 drops Lavender Oil (for emotional calmness)
- 1 drop Frankincense Oil (for spiritual connection and grounding)
- Carrier Oil of choice (such as jojoba, almond, or coconut oil)
- Small glass bottle (amber or dark-coloured glass bottles are best to protect the oils from degrading in sunlight!)
Add the specified number of drops of each heart chakra oil to your bottle and then top it up with your carrier oil of choice.
Top tip: leave a bit of space at the top of the bottle to make it easier to blend it all together!
Then, close and shake the bottle to mix the oils thoroughly. (Some people prefer to “roll” the bottle to mix the oils, so feel free to do this if it resonates with you.)
Then let your heart chakra blend sit for a day or so to let the oils synergise with one another.
And that’s it!
You can use your blend in any of the ways we spoke about earlier in this post.
My personal favourite way to utilise essential oil healing is the pulse point method. You can even purchase specific roller bottles that will make it easier to apply your essential oil blend this way.
If you prefer not to create your own blend, that’s okay too.
Check out these ready made heart chakra essential oil blends instead:
And there you have it, those are the 8 best heart chakra essential oils for love and healing, along with a heart chakra blend recipe to become your very own aromatherapist!
Remember, for best results with heart chakra healing you can combine your aromatherapy practice with other techniques such as meditation, visualisation, or reciting heart chakra affirmations.
Liked this post on essential oils for heart chakra healing? Check out some of these related posts:
- 20 Powerful Heart Chakra Affirmations to Open Your Heart Space
- The 6 Most Common Love Blocks and How to Clear Them
- The Top 8 Best Lavender Essential Oils of 2023
And don’t forget to pin this post for later!