I’m a firm believer that we could all do with a little more magic in our lives. Whether we’re a complete sceptic or an avid believer in the supernatural, life can get serious sometimes and magic can bring the carefree and joyful energy that sets us free.
For this very reason I love reading quotes about magic. I feel like the best magical quotes can inspire all of us to believe a little more and care a little less.
I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite quotes about magic in this post so that you can experience the same magic in your own life.
So sit back, relax and let the words on this page inspire you and move you. And better yet, print some of these quotes off and allow them to be a frequent reminder in your own life to believe in magic!
What is magic?
When it comes to magic, I feel like it’s a difficult word to define. But we all seem to have an innate feeling about what magic means to us, right?
As a noun, magic can be described as “the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces” but I feel like it’s much more than that.
Magic is the wonder of the Universe that can’t be explained by science. In fact, magic is separate from religion too and we all experience our own version of magic, whatever that means to us.
For example, I consider signs and synchronicities from the Universe to be a magical thing that I experience in my own life. When things like this occur I struggle to explain them or put them down to “coincidence” and I feel like I’m being supported and guided by a force that I can’t explain.
I would also describe the perfect synchronisation of the Universe as magical too. When I spend time in nature or think about all the ways that everything in this cosmos is perfectly aligned then that feels like my kind of magic.
Magic vs Magick
You might also see magic spelled as “magick”, and that’s because this other spelling helps to differentiate it from stage magic – you know, the kind of magic that involves pulling rabbits out of hats or sawing people in half.
In some ways, stage magic is magical in its own right though, and to some of us the act of watching a magician perform on stage can feel magical!
While I often use the term magick while talking about witchcraft and manifestation, I’ll be using the term magic (without the k) for the most part here because this post isn’t really about any particular belief or practice.
For this reason I’d encourage you to envision your own idea of magic and define it for yourself, because the quotes I’m about to share with you can apply no matter what magic does, or doesn’t, mean to you.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Quotes about magic
The following quotes about magic have been compiled to give you some sort of emotive feeling, no matter your definition of magic.
If you’re a big believer in the magic of the Universe and you practise some form of magick in your own life, these quotes might serve as confirmation of what you feel to be true.
Or if you’re slightly more sceptical, but you want to find more joy in your life, then some of these quotes might be the inspiration you need to let go and start believing in magic.
Wherever you are, I hope that you enjoy reading these quotes as much as I do and that they can bring you some meaning and magic to your life!
Quotes about magic and mystery
- “Magic is just science that we don’t understand yet” – Arthur C. Clarke
- “Magic is really only the utilization of the entire spectrum of the senses. Humans have cut themselves off from their senses. Now they see only a tiny portion of the visible spectrum, hear only the loudest of sounds, their sense of smell is shockingly poor and they can only distinguish the sweetest and sourest of tastes.” – Michael Scott
- “I am sure there is Magic in everything, only we have not sensed it enough to get a hold of it and make it do things for us” – Frances Hodgson Burnett
- “Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness.” – Aleister Crowley
- “Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.” – Margot Fonteyn
- “Magic lies in challenging what seems impossible.” – Carol Moseley Braun
- “I think that the ideal space must contain elements of magic, serenity, sorcery and mystery.” – Luis Barragan
- “But leave us some magic in the world. Leave us some mystery to enjoy.” – Stuart Hill
- “Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.” – Neil Gaiman.
Quotes on magic in life
- “Magic exists. Who can doubt it, when there are rainbows and wildflowers, the music of the wind and the silence of the stars? Anyone who has loved has been touched by magic. It is such a simple and such an extraordinary part of the lives we live.” – Nora Roberts
- “I do believe in an everyday sort of magic — the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we’re alone.” – Charles de Lint
- “It’s all a matter of paying attention, being awake in the present moment, and not expecting a huge payoff. The magic in this world seems to work in whispers and small kindnesses.” – Charles de Lint
- “Is there magic in this world? Certainly! But it is not the kind of magic written about in fantasy stories. It is the kind of magic that comes from ideas and the hard work it often takes to make them real.” – Robert Fanney
- “In a way fighting was just like using magic. You said the words, and they altered the universe. By merely speaking you could create damage and pain, cause tears to fall, drive people away, make yourself feel better, make your life worse.” – Lev Grossman
- “The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” – Bertrand Russell
- “There’s a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out.” – Lou Reed
- “What others call magic realism is normal and an everyday thing to me.” – Laura Esquivel
- “There is no place so dangerous as a world without magic.” – Terry Goodkind
- “Let the magic of life remind you of your own miracles.” – Shaa Zainol
- “I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.” – J. B. Priestley
- “This world, after all our science and sciences, is still a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more, to whosoever will think of it.” – Thomas Carlyle.
Quotes about magic and love
- “Magic will find those with pure hearts, even when all seems lost.” – Morgan Rhodes
- “I don’t believe it,’ Quince says with absolute certainty.’ I don’t believe anything magical can make someone more in love.’ He looks me right in the eye as he says, ‘Love is already the strongest magic in the world.” – Tera Lynn Childs
- “When two people meet and fall in love, there’s a sudden rush of magic. Magic is just naturally present then. We tend to feed on that gratuitous magic without striving to make any more. One day we wake up and find that the magic is gone. We hustle to get it back, but by then it’s usually too late, we’ve used it up. What we have to do is work like hell at making additional magic right from the start. It’s hard work, but if we can remember to do it, we greatly improve our chances of making love stay.” – Tom Robbins
- “Love isn’t a decision. It’s a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler, but much less magical” – Trey Parker
- “Magic happens when you do not give up, even though you want to. The universe always falls in love with a stubborn heart.” – JmStorm
- “Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.” – Nora Roberts
You are magic quotes
- “We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.” – J.K. Rowling
- “She’s mad, but she’s magic. There’s no lie in her fire.” – Charles Bukowski
- “I want to be magic. I want to touch the heart of the world and make it smile. I want to be a friend of elves and live in a tree. Or under a hill. I want to marry a moonbeam and hear the stars sing. I don’t want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic.” – Charles de Lint
- “Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Magic comes from what is inside you. It is a part of you. You can’t weave together a spell you don’t believe in.” – Jim Butcher
- “There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed.” – Kate Douglas Wiggin
- “But all the magic I have known I’ve had to make myself.” – Shel Silverstein
- “There is magic, but you have to be the magician. You have to make the magic happen.” – Sidney Sheldon
Literary quotes about magic
- “I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” – J.K. Rowling
- “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” – J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan
- “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” – Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone
- “Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business” – Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
- “Believe something and the Universe is on its way to being changed. Because you’ve changed, by believing. Once you’ve changed, other things start to follow. Isn’t that the way it works?” – Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard
- “No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.” – R.A. Salvatore, Streams of Silver
- “Words and magic were in the beginning one and the same thing, and even today words retain much of their magical power.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King
Quotes about magical places
- “Magical places are always beautiful and deserve to be contemplated … Always stay on the bridge between the invisible and the visible.” – Paulo Coelho
- “There’s a flame of magic inside every stone & every flower, every bird that sings & every frog that croaks. There’s magic in the trees & the hills & the river & the rocks, in the sea & the stars & the wind, a deep, wild magic that’s as old as the world itself. It’s in you too, my darling girl, and in me, and in every living creature, be it ever so small. Even the dirt I’m sweeping up now is stardust. In fact, all of us are made from the stuff of stars.” – Kate Forsyth
Believe in magic quotes
- “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
- “Believe in Your Heart. Believe in your heart that you’re meant to live a life full of passion, purpose, magic and miracles.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “That’s the thing about magic; you’ve got to know it’s still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you.” ― Charles de Lint
- “Never, ever stop believing in magic, no matter how old you get. Because if you keep looking long enough and don’t give up, sooner or later you’re going to find Mary Poppins.” ― Steve Kluger
- “What an utter disgrace it would be to find something truly magic and spend any time at all pretending and trying to convince yourself it is all just an unbelievably orchestrated and beautifully choreographed illusion.” ― Tyler Knott Gregson
- “When you’re touched by magic, nothing’s ever quite the same again. What really makes me sad is all those people who never have the chance to know that touch. They’re too busy, or they just don’t hold with make-believe, so they shut the door without really knowing it was there to be opened in the first place.” ― Charles de Lint
- “Humanity does not suffer from the disease of wrong beliefs but humanity suffers from the contagious nature of the lack of belief. If you have no magic with you it is not because magic does not exist but it is because you do not believe in it.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “So why not live with the magic? Be a kid again and believe in the fantastical. Life is more fun with a little smoke and mirrors.” ― L.H. Cosway
- “You can live your dreams, and you can believe in magic. You can live your dreams, and you can be yourself.” – Keiynan Lonsdale
- “But remember. Just because you don’t believe in something doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” ― Katherine Howe
- “Believe in magic. Believe in the impossible.” – Morgan Rhodes
Short quotes about magic
- “Children see magic because they look for it.” – Christopher Moore
- “Music is the strongest form of magic.” – Marilyn Manson
- “Magic is at the core of myths.” – Colin Farrell
- “The world is its own magic.” – Shunryu Suzuki
- “Effective magic is transcendent nature.” – George Eliot
- “Magic, like technology, is a tool.” – Mercedes Lackey
And there you have it, those are some of the best quotes about magic to inspire you to believe a little more in the magic of this world that we live in.
I hope that you enjoyed reading them and that you can take some of these words away into the rest of your life.
And if you want more where that came from, here are some other amazing quotes to keep you inspired…
- 30 Powerful Manifestation Quotes to Inspire You
- 59 Self Care Quotes to Inspire You to Prioritize Yourself
- 46 Inspirational Abraham Hicks Quotes to Live By
Don’t forget to pin this post!
Esther is the founder of Through the Phases. Her mission is to guide others to grow to their full potential and create their dream life using spiritual and personal growth practices. Read more about her story here!